Monday, February 11, 2013

Silver Linings

So Ken and I finally saw SILVER LININGS PLAYBOOK this weekend.  I believe this means we've seen two of the films nominated for best picture, which is pretty good for us these days.

Anyway.  I loved it.  I loved the whole Eagles thing going on (I've spent a lot of time watching Eagles football over the past decade).  I loved the look of the film.  I loved the characters and their complicated relationships with one another.  I loved the performances.  Who knew Bradley Cooper could bring that kind of intensity and humor and heartbreak to a role?  All at the same time?  (A favorite scene would be Pat's rage over the ending of Hemingway's A FAREWELL TO ARMS.)   And Robert de Niro just keeps on delivering.  Year after year after year.

I think the first half of the film feels truer to real life than the second half.  But I was grateful for the hopefulness of the second half.  Yes, I was.


2 comments:

Lisa B. said...

One of my favorite moments in the film happens at the Eagles game, when the shot is in slow mo and they're all doing that eagle wing-flapping things. It just makes me so happy.

But overall, I just loved the texture of the whole film--the way it felt like actual life. A real neighborhood, the way the parents were weathered and hopeful and resigned. And crabby snacks! and homemades!

(also Chris Tucker, who was an entire joy in that film.)

James said...

I have seen quite a few of the movies nominated, and I hope Silver Linings wins. Great performances all around, and pretty true to life. I like how Bradley Cooper keeps telling people what condition they have...all the while thinking he has his condition under control. The dinner scene where He and "Katniss" start comparing meds is really good too.