Sunday, February 17, 2013

Heeeeeeere's the column!

Yesterday's column.

I didn't really have an idea for a column this week, because I have been too busy knitting socks while covered up with afghans (which is what I do here in St. George when I'm not driving around in a golf cart or standing in line at Walgreen's to pick up my heart medication).

So I fell back on a technique that has served me well over the years.  I asked myself (I know you've heard me say this before) at what point during the past week was I feeling the most "in extremis" (yes!  that's me making up some Latin right there!).  By that I mean--when was I feeling particularly frustrated, angry, sad, overwhelmed, embarrassed, bored, touched, something, anything?  And as it turned out, that moment last week was when I saw THE SILVER LININGS PLAYBOOK, because even though it's a comedy, I cried all the way through it.

That's where your material resides--in those moments when you're somehow off-balance.