Sunday, September 8, 2013

Who knew J-Lo could be so inspirational?

I know, right?

But as I was doing a bit of channel-surfing this weekend, I landed on a segment where she (J-Lo) was talking about how she called her mother once early in her career crying because she was so discouraged.  And her mother basically said, "You chose a tough business, Doll.  Don't come crying to me again."

I needed to hear that, because I've been a Mrs. Whiney-pants lately.   So here's my mantra this week:  writing is a tough business.  Sometimes things go well.  Sometimes they don't.  But no one is putting a gun to your head to make you do it.  So deal with it.

YES!  I FEEL JUST LIKE J-LO!  I THINK I'M GONNA DANCE NOW!

4 comments:

Marianne said...

You could rename your blog: Ann from the Hood

Lisa B. said...

Louise, J-Lo's posterior is one of the great wonders. Mindy Kaling said she once followed J-Lo on the red carpet, and:

"J.Lo . . . is an ethereal bronze goddess. She was in front of me on the red carpet and it was so weird. People yell "Big smile Jennifer!" and it's like they're shouting nonsense words at this stony-faced Aztec princess. Her husband/handler Marc Anthony just looked so Rats of Nimh compared to her.

Both have amazing asses, and believe me, I checked."

I love this quotation from J-Lo's mom. I am going to say it to myself all the time now. Also, maybe I am going to sing Jenny from the Block because it's dumb AND awesome, which is all you can ask from a pop song or a pop idol, if you ask me. Thank you, Ann Cannon, for this post.

Megan Goates said...

I like knowing that good writers whine about writing. Ernest Hemingway put it this way, "There is nothing to writing. All you do is sit at a typewriter and bleed."

Michelle Renee Stimpson said...

I love this so much. You said something similar at WIFYR that changed everything for me. You said, "You can always quit if it gets too hard. No one is making you do this." And some how having permission to quit makes it way less tempting to do so.