Monday, September 16, 2013

The running vs. the biking

As you may recall, I was training for the St. George marathon this time last year, running many, many miles up and down State Street where I observed firsthand that Salt Lake City is home to many, many tattoo parlors.  You start seeing things in a different way when you're on foot in a town, as opposed to zipping around in a car.

Anyway.  I haven't run as much this year, but I have been biking.  And whenever I see people running--their flushed, sweaty faces contorted in pain--and want to say, "Dudes!  Biking is way more fun!"

I took a ride out on Legacy today to have some more of that fun, and at first it was awesome.  The morning was pleasantly cool.  The sun was shining.  There were birds to behold (a red wing blackbird and a red tail hawk, among others).  But then a stiff headwind set in, and suddenly I felt like pioneers dragging handcarts across Davis County.  

Except that instead of wearing a bonnet I was in spandex.




2 comments:

Louise Plummer said...

Pioneers in Spandex: love that image.

Lisa B. said...

Spandex = smiles. The wind is truly the nemesis of biking joy. Also, hills, in my opinion. But that's because I'm a lazy, lazy slacker, and that's the truth.