Tuesday, September 24, 2013

What the doctor didn't order

I promise not to keep harping on this because it's SO MIND-NUMBINGLY BORING.  But as you know, I've been struggling with the onset of fall more than usual.  A lot more than usual.  So I talked to my doctor about this yesterday and went dude.  What gives?  And he said, the problem is you're going into your hard seasons already burned out.

As soon as he said that, I went dude.  You're right.  That's exactly what's going on here.  And you know what else is going on here?  I'm calling my doctor "dude" a lot.

So then I asked for a magic pill that would make me feel excited about everything happening soon.  Halloween.  Fall planting.  Amber light and blue skies.  A pile of good books to read.  Trips to the farmers' market with my granddaughter.  FOOD.  FOOD.  MORE FOOD.  And he said sorry.  No special super magic pills.  Just employ your strategies.  Light box.  Exercise.  Mild anti-depressants.  Friends.  Gratitude journal.  

And you know what?  I found this kind of comforting.  It was like he said, yeah.  This sucks for you.  But it's okay.  You'll weather it, just like you have before.

Here's to weathering!  And now I will say no more on the subject.

9 comments:

Jo Ann W said...

Time for lunch at Rio Grande - lots of gooey cheese and warm yumminess. Let's go -

Lisa B. said...

Oh, say all you want. I actually appreciate knowing about this. I love fall, but I also feel the onset of a melancholy every year, so, just like when we share stories about anything, it makes me feel less alone about it all. I am trying to make sure I take the big walk as often as I can, and look for light, and so forth. I know it's not the same as what you experience, but it's good to share it, I think. So keep sharing whatever you want to. You're not boring me in the least. And I agree with Jo Ann W--time for lunch, or breakfast, or movies, and soup, definitely soup.

Megan Goates said...

I whine all summer long as it's my difficult season (what with the children dismantling the house and all). If writing about it helps at all, do it.

radagast said...

I'm with Lisa. You just keep writing, and I'll just keep nodding my head.

Anonymous said...

As a typically "silent" reader, I wanted to let you know that I appreciate reading this and shared it with my cousin. She and I recently lost our aunt to cancer and felt like we lost our depression-suffering confidant. Sometimes, you just can't talk with your own Mom about this stuff. So thanks for sharing so the rest of us remember, we're okay and we can do it.

Kim Webb Reid said...

I need to talk to you about the light box and mild anti-depressants. I really do. Maybe during a walk in City Creek Canyon if you get time!

Amelia said...

Please share. This post was very meaningful to me yesterday when I had some blue feelings of my own. And that we have to work through it. To weathering!

Elena Jarvis Jube said...

Thanks for this, Ann. Me, too. I think it's a writer thing? Goes along with being a sensitive, introspective person, maybe.

Hmm, I like the sound of the light box...

Louise Plummer said...

I have placed my light box on my desk permanently. And I think the true magic pills are illegal. Dammit.