Friday, September 6, 2013

Hecklers at a rest home

As I've said here before, I visit a rest home in our neighborhood here and read the residents picture books, which they generally enjoy.  Yesterday, however, one of the women wasn't happy about being there.  As I read The Rainbabies she kept shouting from her wheelchair, "Well, THIS isn't what I expected" or "BORING!"

This has happened to me before.  I used to go to a rest home out in Holladay and play the piano for entertainment purposes during the lunch hour.  I was like the piano player in the shoe department at Nordstrom, don't you know.  Anyway, one day they wheeled in two guys who sat and made fun of me the whole time.  I felt like I was on the Muppet Show with those two old grumpy puppets.

But hey.  Apparently I did entertain.


5 comments:

Jo Ann W said...

You're a super-woman! Roar!

radagast said...

You call that a blog post? Pah! Now, in my day, people knew how to blog post! :)

Michelle Renee Stimpson said...

That sounds exactly like my life as a middle school teacher.

Lisa B. said...

I also had an experience with elderly hecklers whilst piano playing at a retirement home where my grandma lived. My aunt and I were playing duets of Christmas songs--charmingly, I might add, at least according to me, my aunt, and my grandma--when this lady leaned forward and said, "Can you play a little softer, please?" I know what you're thinking. That's not *technically* heckling. But my aunt and I laughed the whole time we played the rest of our set, at the volume we saw fit to play.

Emily said...

I feel like there's only two ways to go as you get older. You either become an adorable sweet little old lady, or you become a bitch. Frankly, when you've lived that long, you pretty much can do whatever you want.