Thursday, July 25, 2013

Why I Need Winter

I go shoeless in the summer.  I mean like everywhere.  The other night I was at the Alta Club with Ken Cannon for a Westerners dinner and w/o even realizing it, I slipped my shoes off there.  My shoes sat underneath the table feeling all mortified for me.  They kept calling out to me in their tiny squeaky shoe voices going, "Don't forget to put us back on when you stand up.  We don't want you to embarrass yourself in front of your husband's colleagues.  ALSO!  YOU'RE IN THE ALTA CLUB!  WHAT ARE YOU THINKING?"

So yeah.  Shoeless Me.  Why does this happen?  Maybe because summer is my favorite season?  I feel like me in the summer.  And when you feel like yourself, you feel comfortable.  Comfortable enough to take your shoes off in the Alta Club.

I've often thought that if I lived in a place like Hawaii or SoCal where it's eternal summer, I would never wear shoes.  And I would start giving into all kinds of slack and lax instincts, as well.  That's why I need Winter to ride into town with its shiny silver lawman's badge to lay down the law for me everywhere now and then.  Time to put on shoes.  Time to stop sitting on the porch in the evening, looking at the moon and smelling night-scented flowers.  Time to line up a schedule or two.  Time to be a grownup.

Winter is my sheriff.

7 comments:

radagast said...

Good golly you write well, Ann. I found myself nodding and smiling right the way through and, by the end, literally genuflecting before your mad skills. Winter as sheriff. Time to put on shoes. Perfect. Carry on with the feeling and writing like yourself, please.

Emily said...

I don't know. I sort of like having my winter act as an eternal spring.

I'll have to settle with a gentler sheriff. A foggy morning sheriff? Or maybe a snow dusted hills sheriff?

radagast said...

Well, more mentally genuflecting. Actual genuflecting is too much like exercise.

Val Harker said...

"That's why I need Winter to ride into town with its shiny silver lawman's badge......" this is so lyrical. What a pleasure to see winter on a horse with a silver badge.

Alyosha said...

Move here. It's awesome.

Kim Webb Reid said...

I walk past the Alta Club a lot and wonder how to get in with those guys so I can have good parade seats. Any tips? :) Glad you can be yourself even at the Alta Club. I don't feel like myself in winter because I hate to wear coats. And I hate to be cold. Lose-lose situation.

Lisa B. said...

Listen. You are, like, the prophet and poet of summer and your so-called "slack and lax" instincts are an inspiration to me. I just ate a bacon wrapped hot dog, partly as an homage to you, who will travel near and far for a taste of something excellent, like Mexican Coke or those malted eggs, whatever they are, or the perfect red velvet cupcake. You are my hero, summer-wise. You don't need no stinking sheriff. You are the U.S. Marshall of Badass Summerville, and don't you forget it. (sorry, I'm watching Justified.)