Wednesday, August 26, 2015

What to give

I received word yesterday that a friend is dying, so Louise and I went to see him this morning.  I wondered if I should take something.  A letter.  Balloons.  An orchid to brighten his room.  But in the end I took nothing.

When we walked into his room, Louise immediately went to his bedside, took his hand in hers, and stroked his head.  And watching her I thought that in the end, the only thing we can really give is the touch of skin on skin.

We can only give ourselves.


4 comments:

radagast said...

Wow. Yeah . . .

Megan Goates said...

This image of Louise's gentleness is so lovely, sad and, sweet.

I'm so sorry.

Lisa B. said...

too much sadness, and only our poor little implements, which have to be enough. xo

Paige said...

Very true. A hand is much better to hold at the end than a balloon.