Monday, August 24, 2015

Sacrament meeting gold

My niece once told me that our ward reminds her of a small quirky town in a place like northern Minnesota.  And we had the kind of meeting yesterday that gives her observation cred.
'
So we have this baby-faced, super cute and very innocent 13 year-old boy who was asked to be the youth speaker.  I will say that he surprised us all when he stood up behind the mic and announced that his assigned topic was "chastity."  You could practically hear congregation members whisper "What the hell?"  

Or something like that.

Anyway, without going into too much detail, may I just say you've never LIVED until you've heard a young boy drop the phrase "sexual intimacy" at least seven times over the pulpit in the course of a ten minute talk in church.  

Afterwards our bishop--he was the one was a surprised smile on his face during the entire meeting--told me and Ken Cannon that wires had been crossed and that "chastity" had never been the assigned topic.   

Glad I was there.

8 comments:

Emily said...

I can't even say sexual intimacy seven times. Poor kid. Sounds like he handled it with grace.

James said...

i can almost bet that the assigned topic was charity. Love this post. Wish I had been there.

Paige said...

My son who just turned 12 had that lesson yesterday and said it was the most horrible church lesson he's ever heard. Message received.
I don't think I could handle that topic over the pulpit.

Louise Plummer said...

Oh my gosh, I love this so much.

Sarah said...

Wish I could've been sitting there, second row from the back corner, listening to this with my mom!

Blue said...

Ann, bless you. This post actually produced laughter--of the audible type--from me just now. On a day that has mostly been tears, that was an unexpected welcomed moment.

Lisa B. said...

O.
M.
G.

Fantastic. Perrrrrrrfect.

sadie said...

I peed. So awesome.