Tuesday, August 11, 2015

We have three dogs in this house

It's true.  We do.  And I'll just throw this out there.  Three dog are too many dogs in one house.  BUT.  Whatever.

Anyway, one dog (Zora) is a large brown Newfie who weighs 180 pounds but isn't, according to our vet, overweight.  She's just a big-boned girl, like a midwestern farmer's daughter who becomes strong and good because she picks corn all day..  Whenever we take Zora out walking, people come to a full stop in the middle of the street to take a look and you can see their lips move.  That dog looks like a freaking bear!

The second dog is a Field Spaniel teenager who could spend all day at the mall and not feel the least bit tired.  Exuberant is the word that comes to mind when describing Penny.

And the third dog is a plump footstool of a Cavalier King Charles spaniel who came to us as a rescue.  Other than the times when he breaks out into his random psychotic barking attacks, he is neat and quiet and kind.  And often overlooked.

Which is why when I pass him on the staircase, I look him straight in the eye and whisper, "Don't tell the others, but you're my favorite."

That's me.  Building Dog Self-Esteem whenever and wherever I can.

4 comments:

James said...

If you want a fourth, I think there is a lady-look-a-like cocker spaniel that I could "rescue" for you. It would have to be on the QT, because my kids would kill me. I like the descriptions of the dogs. Very apropos descriptions of them.

Donna Tagliaferri said...

awww, a warm and cuddly moment!! I loveit

Paige said...

Someday I'm going to have a Newfie. That's if I survive this crazy dog that we're still adjusting to having in our house. Right now one dog is making it much more crowded around here. I can't imagine three. Unless they would wear each other out.

Joseph S. Ramirez said...

You remind me that I love dogs. :) Lately I've been having growldowns (like a staredown, but with a lot more growling) with a pit bull who runs loose around here and demands tribute for walking within a mile of his house. Like some kind of furry bridge troll. I believe the toll is a pound o' flesh (human or otherwise) but so far I've won the growldowns so I don't actually know.