Thursday, January 31, 2013

When the well runs dry

In December I was full of column ideas.  I almost couldn't write them down fast enough.  But this month?  All the idea arteries in my brain have hardened.  LIKE CONCRETE.

HOWEVER!   I have deadlines.  DEADLINES!  What to do, what to do?

I look back at the week I just had and identify a moment when I was feeling something--anything!--strongly.  And then I see if I can turn that moment into some kind of narrative.  This week I was extremely annoyed when a driver nearly ran me off the road because he didn't see me.  Why didn't he see me?  Because he hadn't scraped the snow off his windows.

A small moment, I know.  But still.  I got a rant out of it.  Wrote it down.  E-mailed it to Editor Lisa.  Waiting to hear from her now.


No comments: