Thursday, January 17, 2013

Cold Mountain

I realize that title could describe where I'm living right now.  A damn cold mountain in Utah.

HOWEVER.  The title refers to the novel published in the late 90's, which everyone I knew read except for me.  I see now that I can't blame my kids' contrariness on their father alone.  I, too, have the Oppositional Defiance Disorder (ODD) going on, which is why I never seem to read popular books while they're burning up the charts.

Anyway.  I'm listening to the audiobook now, which leads me to make these observations:

1.  I've said this before, but there's a real pleasure in having someone read to you.  It's like being in the sixth grade all over again when you came in from recess and lay your sweaty little head down on your desk and listened to Mrs. Jugant read A WRINKLE IN TIME to the class.

2.  The book moves at a slow pace.  But in this case I am grateful for it, because the pace does afford me the opportunity to absorb the language which is truly wonderful without being overly self-conscious the way language can be in contemporary literary novels.

3.  The Civil War was one of the great American tragedies.  Just . . . wow.

(Memo to Jake:  You see how I am making an effort to comment on what I'm reading?)

2 comments:

Amelia said...

I read this book and loved loved loved it. It was so compelling despite its pace. Did you see the movie?

Louise Plummer said...

I agree, listening to books is like being a child again.

In sixth grade, Mr. Peterson, our homeroom teacher had us for another 45 minutes at the end of the day. He read us both Tom Sawyer and Huckleberry Finn that year. Terrific.