Saturday, January 29, 2011

Sundance

So Ken and I scored tickets for three movies, including one tonight--SON OF NO ONE--that was hailed by one trade magazine as this season's first bomb at Sundance. Yes! I love it when Ken and I score tickets to bombs! It reminds me of the time we were in London and we saw a production of MIDSUMMER'S NIGHT DREAM that opened to the worst reviews in the history of British theater. (Memo to Directors: turning "fairies" into "flies" and "forests" into "dung heaps" is not likely to endear you to audience members who have spent a buttload of jack to see that particular play because of its light heart.) (But whatever.) (I'm guessing fancy pants directors aren't reading this blog.)

Anyhoodle. Earlier this week we saw TERRI, which struck me as an attempt to do Napoleon Dynamite in a darker hue, in a minor key. I really wanted to like it. And I did like John C. Reilly's performance. But beyond that I . . . just didn't buy it. (Further Memo to Directors: loose ends do not necessarily = artistic ambiguity. Sometimes loose ends just = loose ends. And they're distracting.)

This afternoon we saw SALVATION BOULEVARD, which I'm guessing will go into some kind of general release. Lots of A-listers in that movie, including two guys I love--Greg Kinnear and Pierce Brosnan. I've said this before, but the reason I love Brosnan is that he's a handsome guy who isn't afraid to be a NUTJOB. George Clooney is a little that way, too, only Clooney always manages to hang onto to a piece of cool, no matter how silly he behaves. Brosnan, on the other hand, has no pride. None whatsoever. And I admire that immensely.

SALVATION was funny, although predictably all the religious people in the movie are idiots. (Further Further Memo to Directors: P. J. O'Rourke was right when he said going after evangelicals is like shooting fish in a barrel. So come on. Surprise us for a change.) I don't know that I'd recommend the movie, but it did make me laugh.

Okay. That's it. And btw we're not going tonight. So if you want tickets to Sundance's first official bomb, give me a call.

1 comment:

LucindaF said...

Dangit. I would so have gone to the bomb. I never get to go to bombs. My life is unfulfilled.

I don't think fish living in a barrel would taste very good. Unless of course it's considered to be some sort of VEAL fish. Either way, PETA wouldn't be happy.

And some wicked part of me loves it when PETA isn't happy. So shoot away.