Friday, March 6, 2009

YA lit (and raisin cookies)

Okay. I can't figure out how to create a link HERE to a recent piece in The Boston Globe called "Faith and Good Works" in which many Mormon authors (Chris Crowe, Shannon Hale, Julie Berry, Martine Leavitt, and Carol Williams) are quoted about the state of YA lit today. It's worth reading. I particularly like Shannon's take on why so many Mormons write fantasy--especially given the fact that many conservative Christians denounce it. She said our experience with angels, re-discovered scripture, and biblical literature makes us comfortable with the fantastic.

And now for the food part. I went into Backer's to buy a cupcake but walked out with a raisin cookie instead. Ah! Raisin cookies! I HEART THEM SO MUCH. And they're kind of hard to find. Why is that? Maybe because they're kind of an old-church-lady-fruit-cakey kind of cookie?

The Backer's cookie was okay--a tad too mince-meaty. The ones at Parson's Bakery in Bountiful are better. Bigger with more raisins. Sadly, though, the sugar cookie part is always too crispy. NO to crispy sugar cookies. The best raisin cookies EVER were found in the old bakery in the basement of the flagship ZCMI. Soft. Gooey. Raisin-y. M-m-m-m-m-m.

For the record, the old ZCMI also served a great hot dog. But if you wanted a good date-nut-cream-cheese sandwich, you went to Auerbach's.

2 comments:

Lisa B. said...

I am loving your food commentary in addition to the writing commentary. Keep this new feature up! is my opinion.

Emilee said...

I miss the hotdogs at ZCMI and they also had the best cheese bread.. Just a big fat slice of bread with cheese on top.. I will bring you some cuppy cakes next time I come home..