Monday, December 16, 2013

Chapter Ten: Wherein I go to college and learn I want my future kids to do things differently

In this chapter I will discuss how I went to BYU although all the kids who grew up in Provo mocked BYU students heartlessly.  We called them ZOOBIES and tinkerty-tonk!  WE MEANT IT TO STING.

But most of us Provo kids who actually went to college went to BYU because it was cheap and we lived at home where we proceeded to have no fun at all because you know.  We lived at home.  I drowned my sorrows in food and became large-ish, which still did not stop me from becoming a BYU Folk Dancer because apparently you can be chubby if you're good at doing Russian dances.  Which I was.

Anyway.  I made myself a solemn sacred promise that my kids would go away to school and not live at home and gain weight and become BYU Folk Dancers.  And mostly they didn't.  There were two good things that happened to me as an undergrad, though.  I will discuss those in my next two posts.

2 comments:

CSIowa said...

I am enjoying this approach to personal history.

After my sister's miserable freshman year living at home, she moved into an apartment and had a much better experience. Because she paved the way, I went straight to the dorms for my freshman year. After that ice breaker, I was fine living at home in later years.

Now I am trying to figure out how to avoid having my son attend the local state school so he can go away and make mistakes that I don't have to watch closely. Since we don't live in Utah, this would be easy if his GPA corresponded with his ACT score so he had some chance of getting into BYU.

Sigh. At least he's doing things differently.

Emily said...

OH, I love this post. I, too, want my kids to go away to school, but it will be easy because the nor cal town I live in only has a community college and even the great universities around here: Stanford, Berkeley, UCSF, are too far to commute on a daily basis.

I hadn't thought about the folk dancing thing, but I'm officially putting it on my list for things I want my children to do in college.

I'm sure they'll thank you someday.