Thursday, April 8, 2010

What I'm reading now

I read the real PINOCCHIO by Carlo Collodi so you won't have to. You're welcome! Mostly I read it for my book group--I knew my funny friend Chris Decker was the reviewer and I wanted to support her. You're welcome, Chris! It's not very much like the Disney movie. For one thing, no one's wearing clothes from Switzerland. DUDE! THESE ARE ITALIANS! Also, Pinocchio takes off his shoe and smashes the talking cricket with it. So long, Jiminy!

Here's what I did like--Pinocchio's ADHD-ness and random-ness. He really is kinda like a little B.O.Y. on that front.

Yesterday I read Gary Paulsen's new book set during the Revolutionary War called WOODS RUNNER. I haven't read a book by Paulsen since I heard him speak a few summers ago--he loves to cultivate a salty old sea dog affect and so it was easy for me to forget that, in truth, he writes quite lyrically. I liked the book--the non-fiction bits more than the fictional pieces, actually.

Now I'm reading EMILY THE STRANGE which is a graphic novel/novel for YA readers. It's all goth-y and hip but kinda fun in a really weird way.

4 comments:

Amelia said...

I'm reading "Three Cup of Tea" and enjoying it... although it isn't fiction.

Donna Tagliaferri said...

Thank you for reading that book so I won't have to, what else can you do for me? This is intriguing..and so much fun.
My husband's family is all Italian, I mean all of his grandparents came through Ellis Island...not one Pinocchio in the bunch, you'd think there would be one...

Jenny said...

I always like hearing your insights on what you're reading. I hope a bunch of kids will be sharing their insights on "On the Go with Pirate Pete and Pirate Joe" soon. It's in the Friend magazine's May book reviews. :)

Jim said...

I have read Pinocchio. I enjoyed Pinocchio. I am pleased to never having to enjoy reading Pinocchio again.