Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Nemesis

That's the title of the book I just read--NEMESIS by Jo Nesbo, another new star in the constellation of Scandinavian Noir writers. This book has gotten a lot of positive buzz, and I liked it . . . fine. But toward the end I had to knock back a couple of Dramamine because there were SO many twists and turns and also twists. The book left me dizzy and vaguely carsick, you know?

Here's what I find myself wishing for--a book written by a man who's also a woman. Or a woman who's also a man. Here's why. Thrillers written by men are often heavy on the exterior action thing. Thrillers written by women frequently emphasize an interior action. Why can't I get a book that does both? LeCarre's early books did this. And then they didn't. Who knows why? Maybe he got sick of being a man/woman.

2 comments:

Lisa B. said...

I think I will read this Nemesis book, completely on the strength of the title. I will wait until the semester is over, but I am going to read it.

I thought that second Girl book by Stieg Larsson kind of got the balance right, interior/exterior action-wise. I can't wait for the third book to come out here.

That is all.

Donna Tagliaferri said...

come to Vegas....we have lots of men who are women, or women who are men.