Friday, July 1, 2011

Rogue Waves

It's our last full day on the beach, so I woke up in a melancholy mood. This can't go on. I probably wouldn't like it if it did. But somehow I still want it to.

I've been thinking a lot of my grandmother this morning. She used to sit on the deck here wearing her floppy yellow hat and watch the waves. "They say the seventh wave is the dangerous wave," she'd say. I'd roll my eyes because my grandmother was given to odd pronouncements at times. "If you eat beets, you'll have rosy cheeks like Jackie Kennedy," for example. Or "If you put vinegar on your food, it'll melt the calories." So of course when she'd start up with the rogue wave thing, I'd always say, "Yes, but how do you know when to start counting . . . "

Still, this morning as I took my solitary stroll on the shoreline, watching the brown pelicans dive bomb into the water, I found myself looking for that seventh wave. And for the shades of our old selves left behind here.

6 comments:

wjmom said...

Your words are rolling around my tongue like chocolate. Sooo deliciously satisfying!

(You should be a writer :) )

Lisa B. said...

beautiful post. just beautiful.

Sara Z. said...

<3

LucindaF said...

Love, love this. I can feel what you've written. And I think it touches our humanity.

You're wonderful, Ann. I miss the way you look at me when we talk. I'm sure I'll be down that way for some holiday in the fall. Somehow that feels like forever away.

Donna Tagliaferri said...

Oh I know that feeling so well...it is melancholy to look out at such beauty and to look back at your family feel we are leaving a part of ourselves (the happy part) behind.

Louise Plummer said...

Beautifully said. If you eat beets, you will definitely pee pink. What a nice thing to have had such a quotable grandmother.