Sunday, November 20, 2016

Two grandfathers

The other day when I was driving home from Provo, I stopped at a fruit stand on 8th North in Orem.  There were mostly apples for sale, so I asked the man there which variety was his favorite.  He said Fuji.  So I bought a basket of Fuji apples and he threw in a few extra for good measure.  Meanwhile, Mt. Timpanogos loomed blue behind us both, along with the small patch of orchard that hasn't been plowed under for new homes.  This man was my paternal grandfather two generations ago.

Later that day I took our car into Bobby's Car Clinic on Third Ave and immediately felt at home when I inhaled the familiar scent of oil on concrete.  Bobby was my maternal grandfather two generations ago.

It was one of those days where time, in the words of Joseph Smith, became one eternal round.

3 comments:

Megan Goates said...

I love you, Ann.

Thank you for your memoir writing wherein you share your beautiful self.

Jim said...

This is beautifully written. I want to buy apples at that orchard stand, and I that mechanic to work on my car(s). (I have a lot of car work to be done.) I loved this post.

Lisa B. said...

this is gorgeous. that is all.