Saturday, June 2, 2012

When a good series goes bad . . .

As I've said before, I have cherished the Hamish Macbeth novels by M.C. Beaton.  So!  Much!  I've adored  the Scottish setting (Brigadoon with an edge), the quirky characters, the mildly malicious humor.  Some titles have been better than others, of course, but for years now I've found the series to be consistently enjoyable.

Last year's DEATH OF A CHIMNEY SWEEP, however, felt rushed and underdeveloped--LOTS of telling, not much showing.  Still, I was eager to read this year's DEATH OF A KINGFISHER, which I did today and . . .  wow.  For me the novel was hugely disappointing--disjointed and strangely unlikeable.  Seriously, I don't think I'll read another.

Writers--particularly ones who have successful series--are under a lot of pressure to produce.  As a reader, I get that.  I've been looking forward to a new Hamish each February for years now.  But that pressure can ultimately kill the goose that lays the golden egg.

Bottom line?  I'm just so bummed.


1 comment:

James said...

I imagine writing a series, and keeping it fresh, is hard to do. I have enjoyed the Hamish Macbeth series quite a bit, but I felt the same about Death of Chimney Sweep. Maybe MC B is running out of steam. It happens to sitcoms. I watch a sitcom, like it, love it, tolerate it, and then stop watching it. Its quite possible that Hamish Macbeth has become "The Office."