Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Oregon vs. Ohio State

I write about the upcoming game here.

Meanwhile, on the Trib front, I also wrote this piece about the upcoming ALA meeting wherein the Caldecott Medal will be awarded to the best of last year's picture books.  You can read about that here.

And today I sent Graeme Simsion (author of the completely charming The Rosie Project) a set of questions.  Hopefully his answers will appear in Sunday's paper.

The kind of writing I'm doing now--mostly for the paper--reminds me of the earlier days of my writing career when I did a lot of freelance work for Utah Holiday and Network.  I'm enjoying it, and I am very grateful that I have the opportunity to do this still.

The thing about journalistic writing--and about blogging, too--is that the turnaround time for projects is really fast, and for someone with instant gratification issues like moi, that's super rewarding.  I won't lie--seeing a book with your name on it is great.  I hope to have the experience again, frankly.  But by the time your novel actually sees the light of day, you've almost forgotten what it's about.  You look at it and think someone from another planet must have written this.

Someone much, much younger . . .

Cheers to all of us who write!  And to all of us who don't!


3 comments:

Lauren said...

Yes, cheers to that!

James said...

I hope to see your name on lots of books in the future. I am glad you get to write for the paper too.

shelley said...

I would really like to see some Chihuahua football. I still wouldn't know any of the rules, but I would enjoy it. Oh, I would so enjoy that!