Thursday, April 17, 2014

Hearing Things

Yesterday when I went to the post office, I thought I heard birds inside the building.

Birds?  In the p. o.?  How was that possible?  I looked around but failed to detect immediate bird-age.  There were only people there.  And none of them was chirping.

But still.  I could hear it.  Or at least I thought I could.  So I turned to my fellow line-standers and said, "Hey!  Can you guys hear birds, too?"

They all looked up from their cellphones, said "no," backed away from me the way you do when you realize you're dealing with crazy people in the post office, and resumed messing around with their phones.

What was going on?  Was the whole world going mad?  WAS I ON CRAZY PILLS?

By the time I got to the counter, I was desperate.  I said to clerk, "DO YOU HEAR BIRDS, TOO?"  And he said yes.  He did.  Someone was mailing birds.

His answer caused me to have these three thoughts immediately.

1.  Thank the Lord I'm not just hearing things--specifically birds at the post office.
2.  If people got off their damn phones now and then, they could hear birds, too.
3.  And also, you can mail birds in America?

What a country!

4 comments:

Louise Plummer said...

Wouldn't it be wonderful to find a live canary in the mail. Really! God bless America.

Lauren said...

I think Louise is suggesting you mail her a canary just because. Just because.

Great story.

Megan Goates said...

You hear birds because you're a writer and you notice things. God bless the observant types, like Ann Cannon.

Lisa B. said...

I am worried about the birds. On the other hand, I think you should mail Louise a canary also.