Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Queen for a century

I hope y'all got to see Queen Elizabeth appear before the U.N. yesterday (I am saying y'all a lot because we have a cute girl from Mississippi staying with us right now).

Anyhoo. Here's the deal. She trumped herself on the hat front which (after 8 decades of focused mad hattery) is an impressive feat. Her hat looked exactly like the my cousin's son's Alice in Wonderland wedding cake (it's true--theme wedding!) with jutting angles and skiwampus layers all draped with fondant. So yeah. Queen Elizabeth apparently was wearing fondant on her head yesterday in New York.

God save the Queen, I always say. May she live long and prosper and continue to delight earth's citizens with her improbable headgear.

8 comments:

SWILUA said...

when I was four I had my first grammar argument with my neighbor in Texas who kept saying "y'all."

I got all red faced on her porch when I was asking her daughter to play and she asked "how y'all doing?" I told her, did she know how stupid she sounded? Did she know only stupid people used the word y'all? It's not even a word. You should just say "you guys!"

Which is funny cuz I say y'all all the time now. It's one of the only gender-neutral ways in English to specifically refer to a plural "you."

Southern charms are contagious, I guess. :)

Tiffany said...

I love the word skiwampus, especially as it relates to improbable headgear.

Lisa B. said...

A wild hat always improves the world, is my opinion. So: Go, Queen! Also, Aretha Franklin and her inaugural hat, which was right up there, wild hat-wise.

LucindaF said...

Ha, Kerry, you feisty little 4 year old. I love it.

Ann, now I have to check out the hat. God save the Queen!

Louise Plummer said...

I DID see the Queen. I hope she lives to be as old as her mother. Keep those imperial hats coming, Your Royal Highness.

Louise Plummer said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Donna Tagliaferri said...

my funny hat-queen story is when she was here while Bush was president. She approaced the podium to make a short speech. You could tell it was going to be a disaster. She came to the podium a full one foot shorter than she should have been. So the entire speech was made with only a hat in view. The hat would move from side to side...or up and down. But the hat never revealed the face that dwelt below. Just a hat, and a podium......

Donna Tagliaferri said...

the best part of y'all is saying "all Y'all"
not just y'all......all y'all