Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Obama's inaugural address

So okay. I watched TV all. day. long. And was thrilled, moved, inspired, and touched. I will say that Obama's speech was a little disappointing to me at first. I didn't hear the memorable defining phrase such as "ask not what your country can do for you" or "all we have to fear is fear itself." In fact, it seemed more like a campaign speech stunningly delivered than the kind of inspiring address I was yearning to hear.

But. In retrospect, I kind of think the speech was genius. It laid out the differences in philosophy between this president and our previous president. And the sober, almost deflating tone said look. Times are tough. Things won't be easy. But yes. We can.

I feel more hopeful than I have for years.

1 comment:

Lisa B. said...

I completely agree--although I wasn't disappointed, I did find his tone and the address itself to be completely suited to the occasion, and I feel inspired. Hopeful, joyful.