Tuesday, January 13, 2009

THE GUERNSEY LITERARY AND POTATO PEEL PIE SOCIETY

So now I feel bad that I resisted reading this book (see wacky title above) because I thought it would be too Anne-of-Green-Gables-y. I'm really enjoying it. In fact, I'm enjoying it so much that I'm reading it while moving my lips just to slow me down. That's the true test for me--I read slowly when I'm in love.

Here's a bit I from the novel I think is worth passing along: "That's what I love about reading: one tiny thing will interest you in a book, and that tiny thing will lead you onto another book, and another bit there will lead you onto a third book. It's geometrically progressive--all with no end in sight, and for no other reason than sheer enjoyment." (pp. 11-12)

That says it all, doesn't it?

1 comment:

Lisa B. said...

That IS wonderful. A couple years ago I realized that I had almost stopped reading novels altogether, a fact that seemed tragic to me. So I made a deal with myself that I would read more and now I am reading more. And I (mostly) refuse to tell myself what I should and shouldn't read--I like going from thing to thing, and I especially like it when I find a writer I like and there are plenty of books by said author, so I can indulge a little crush for awhile. That is excellent.