Friday, January 20, 2017

What I'm reading

My friend Dr. Write had this to say about books.  Lovely, isn't it?

Meanwhile, I thought I'd account for what I've been reading.  Which isn't much, frankly, although I hope to change that.

This week I've read Advanced Reading Copies of soon-to-be-released graphic novels by Shannon Hale and Nathan Hale.  (Not married.  Not related.)  I liked them both.  (I mean the books written by the not-married Hales, not the Hales themselves.)  (Although I like the Hales themselves, too.)  And let me say that reading graphic novels is a pleasure because it takes me back to the days when I sat on Wendy and Diana's front porch during the summer, eating cookie dough while we read Ripley's Believe-it-or-Not comic books.  Also, I was a fan of Tales from the Crypt, although that series induced in me a life-long fear of accidentally being buried alive.

CAN'T YOU TELL I'M NOT DEAD, I imagined myself shouting.  From the crypt.

I've also read part of CLEOPATRA by Stacy Schiff and part of THE GIRL FROM VENICE by Martin Cruz Smith.  I like them both.

What are you reading?

4 comments:

CSIowa said...

They latest thing I read that moved me deeply was Stoner by John Williams. I am currently reading The Spirit Catches You and You Fall Down by Anne Fadiman, which is eye-opening.

More reading is an admirable objective for any and all.

Dr Write said...

I also afraid of being buried alive. Something else we have in common!
I'm finishing a book about Ted Bundy (talk about creepy!!) but also started reading The Existentialist Cafe, which is very good.

Jim said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jim said...

I read "Slum Dog Millionaire" (originally published as "Q + A:), and it was good, but quite possibly an exception to the rule. It was not as good as the movie in my opinion. I felt this way about The Girl on The Train. The movie was not perfect either. Everyone raved about the book, but I couldn't get into it. I probably was reading the book passively. I am reading The Assassin by "Someone" Silva. Okay so far, but it is merely popular fiction.

I really like "All The Darkness We Cannot See" (Doerr), and "Mr. Mercedes" (King). Possibly the most interesting book I have read recently was Kingdom of Speech, by Tom Wolfe