Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Bad endings, good beginnings

Ken and I went to that Polanski film "The Ghost Writer" last night. I really liked it until the last 30 seconds, in large part because of the the cast, which is AMAZING--it's easy to forget sometimes how good Pierce Brosnan is because he's spent so much of his life being really really ridiculously good-looking.

So yeah. I was feeling all happy and satisfied with the movie--also my popcorn--when suddenly the STUPIDEST thing in the world happens and BOOM CHAKALA it's all over, Rover. I was SO annoyed I told the ladies sitting in front of me that I felt ripped off and wanted my money back! Even though I didn't know them!

On the opposite end of the entertainment spectrum, I picked up a British novel called THE TOWERS OF TREBIZOND which opens with this line: "'Take my camel, dear,' said my Aunt Dot, as she climbed down from this animal on her return from High Mass."
THAT's a fine first sentence, I think.

Feel free to post your fave opening lines!

2 comments:

Lisa B. said...

I really enjoyed that movie, and choose to believe that the ending is/was not quite so decisive as one might think. At first blush. Against all the evidence, certainly.

But yeah, if I gave in to the "apparent" ending, I'd be furious.

Still, go see it, kids. It's very stylish.

Pierce Brosnan, by the way, is a swell actor. Exhibit A, The Tailor of Panama. Exhibit B, The Matador. Exhibit C, the non-singing parts of Mamma Mia! Which I enjoyed anyway--I kind of liked his bellow-y singing. It was tres amusant(e) (masculin/feminin? who can say?).

I have never liked a first line more than I like this one:

"Many years later, as he faced the firing squad, Colonel Aureliano Buendia was to remember that distant afternoon when his father took him to discover ice."

*Photographer Harjot Kaur * said...

Awesome place