Wednesday, April 20, 2016

Lilac time

Is there any scent more evocative than that of lilacs in bloom?

This morning I was out trimming things up in the backyard when I had my first real hit of lilac fragrance of the season.  And suddenly here's where I was.  In Poland on a train twelve years ago, rumbling through the countryside with my brothers and our spouses and our parents.  Banks of lilac shrubs stretched everywhere--all in full, sun-shimmered bloom.  As I looked out the window and saw the rolling richness all around me, I felt the taste of my own heart and thought this:  I have never ever seen anything more beautiful than now.




6 comments:

Megan Goates said...

Thank you for being you and for writing about the lovely parts.

radagast said...

I have never read anything so beautiful.

Louise Plummer said...

So nice, Ann.

Amelia said...

There is nothing so beautiful. We had a bank of them in my backyard in West Jordan and I remember being 16, standing in the garden under a full moon, smelling them and feeling alive.

James said...

I love how scents have such power; I love how you made note of the scents in Poland. Beautiful and grateful you shared.

Paige said...

Such a beautiful image Ann! I've enjoyed pausing and smelling lilacs on my dog walks. The air is so perfumed and rich.