Thursday, October 3, 2013

Miley and Sinead

Today Sara (Happy Birthday, Sara!) told me about Sinead O'Connor's recent open letter to Miley Cyrus, so naturally I was interested.  As I noted over on fb just now, the f-bomb gets lobbed frequently and with great effect in said letter, so if you're squeamish about that, be forewarned.

But I have to say O'Connor's letter really impresses me.  I've given this subject a lot of thought, because it seems clear to me that the post-feminist notion of out-there-in-your-face female sexuality as being somehow empowering for a young woman is wrong-headed.  To me it feels like old-fashioned exploitation in a new shiny package.

Someone like O'Connor can say that much more forcefully and with more credibility than a middle-aged Mormon lady, right?

Rock on, Sinead.

2 comments:

Lisa B. said...

I loved the motherliness of that letter. I really did.

Lgcropper said...

I am new to your blog. Had the exact same thoughts as you about the effectiveness of the fact that the principles of chastity were coming from Sinead rather than from a "Middle-aged Mormon lady" such as myself. Thanks for your post!

On another matter, just finished reading your article/address in 1993 about Mormon humor. Would you be open to a phone interview about Mormon humor? I am a grad student at the University of Iowa and I am writing my thesis on the Mormon cartoon books by Cal Grondahl and Pat Bagley.
My email address is: lynne-cropper@uiowa.edu
Thanks!