Monday, December 28, 2009

My year in review

Over at http://wouldbewritersguild.blogspot.com, Tiffany has a great post about her year in review. So with a grateful nod to a fabulous fellow writer, I'm doing the same thing.

January: Read Scandinavian mysteries (Karin Fossum is divine) and discovered LIFE ON MARS, both of which helped me to survive the month.

February: Helped Carma Wadley judge Sterling Scholars for the D-News, an experience which made me wonder what it would feel like to have a kid who didn't sleep in and miss math finals.

March: Came out of hibernation on March 15, just like always. And yes! There were daffodils blooming in my front yard!

April: Mostly rejoiced that I didn't have to go to soccer games and freeze to death at 8:00 a.m. on Saturday mornings because my kids are old now. I'm always surprised by how crappy the weather is in the spring.

May: Broke my wrist and got a new plate and seven screws to celebrate.

June: Made important new friendships at the BYU conference. And then I sat on my big old behind on a So Cal beach and soaked up the sun.

July: Went to my high school reunion and discovered they can be fun after all.

August: Lived for the first peaches. Peaches never disappoint. Oh yeah and I went to France.

September: Watched football games, of course. Re-discovered how much fun it is to watch them with my dad. Graduated from physical therapy and have (seriously) a diploma to prove it.

October: Went all out for Halloween this year. At times I almost think I like Halloween better than Christmas because there are fewer dishes to wash.

November: Speaking of dishes, I did Thanksgiving at my house and loved it. Had a little come-to-Jesus with my mom and mother-in-law, in an effort to convince them THAT I'M A MATRIARCH NOW, TOO. Which means I shouldn't have to split up my holiday running between both of their places.

December: Seriously, people. The tree in my house puts the tree in the governor's house to shame.

And meanwhile the year was filled with good things to eat.

Happy New Year!

5 comments:

LucindaF said...

Your lists make me smile. a lot. Loved your dnews one as well.

Everything you write is SO you. I love it.

Thanks for being a highlight of my 2009.

donnette perkins said...

Great list. Now you need to write a list of what you ate each month.

wjmom said...

This is fabulous, and--with a nod to a fabulous writer--I think I'm going to do the same thing on my blog.

Happy New Year!

Tiffany said...

Awww, thanks for the nod. (I'm blushing, seriously.) I loved your look back. Happy new year to you!

link2literacy said...

In December, I had to have a "come-to-Jesus" meeting (in a passive-resistance sort of way) with my DAUGHTER-IN-LAW to convince her that I AM THE MATRIARCH of my house, so I should be able to choose the menus and cook what I darn well want to! Even though I'm not half the cook she is. Forgive me for "blog-dropping" my own post, but I want you to know why I took this drastic step! (Please drop by - if you want to and have time. http://thesixthseason.wordpress.com/2009/12/31/christmas-09-the-food/
Thanks, Ann, for brightening my day every day that I read you.