Monday, December 14, 2009

Holiday foods

The other day I was talking with my friend Nancy about how her family always has green onions dipped in mayo and covered with cheddar cheese because that's what their grandmother served as a special leetle holiday treat. And THIS reminded me of my sister-in-law Becky, whose grandmother used to stuff Bugle crackers with Cheez Whiz--a pretty darn labor intensive project. To this day, however, one of her sisters always shows up at a family holiday gathering with a little tray of Bugles.

Of course Sara Zarr did have to remind me of pigs-in-a-blanket. And I myself still remember the hot Dr. Pepper (garnished with lemon slices) my mom used to serve on Christmas Eve.

What about you? Any bad food items you remember with fondness? And even replicate this time of year?

4 comments:

SWILUA said...

mac and cheese with ketchup. yum.

Amy said...

Sick! Cheeseball is right up there for me. Grosses me right out, but I eat it every year. :)

LucindaF said...

Ann, it wasn't really hot dr. pepper. It was dr. pepper spiked with a little spirits. The lemons were an attempt to disguise it. Your dad always wondered why everyone slept so well.

Christmas foods? My dad would make candied walnuts. Which was yum.

Greg and Jayne said...

Can we have your mom's special Dr.Pepper at lunch next time? Or could could you drop some by today?