Wednesday, October 21, 2015

Watching kids at a chalkboard

Today I saw three junior high-aged kids writing on a blackboard in front of a business.  They were thoroughly absorbed in the task--and in each other.  And suddenly I remembered my friends and me at that age, how intensely we worked at creating that private world--the one where no grownups were allowed.

And as I watched these kids today, it occurred to me how completely, thoroughly, and tragically UNINTERESTING adults are when you're thirteen years old.

5 comments:

Heidi said...

So true!

shelley said...

Grown ups are boring. Sometimes I will turn to Trevor and say, "WHY do grown-ups have to do such damn boring crap all the time?!"

Louise Plummer said...

Grown up life is a grind: all that maturity and cleaning up crap. The ironic thing is that NOT growing up doesn't work either.

James said...

Ah to be 13 again. Roaming the halls of Farrer Jr. High, thinking I was a bad dude in my green parka, yellow moon boots, permed hair and puka shell necklace...wait, I hated jr. high, and it wasn't just the way I dressed that was dreadful about it. I do like the image of the kids drawing on the chalkboard, however. Everyone should have a chalkboard and co-conspirators at least once in life.

Paige said...

I like what Louise said! So true.
And yes, I am so uninteresting to my teenagers. And then so annoying when "there's nothing to eat!" And why do I expect my teenagers will want to talk to me when I didn't want to tell my parents about my "secret world" -- that's a great way to put it.