Tuesday, December 16, 2014

A chat with Cary Elwes

Sooooo . . .

Cary Elwes passed through Salt Lake yesterday, promoting his new book As You Wish, which is a thoroughly charming memoir about the filming of The Princess Bride.  If you love that movie, you should get it.  I mean it . . .

Anyway, TKE was asked to sponsor the event, and when Anne told us the news, I immediately began quoting lines involving peanuts and so forth, and NEXT THING I KNEW, she asked if I would moderate the event.  You know.  Because I'm so moderate.

I said yes!  Of course! Who wouldn't want to interview The Dread Pirate Roberts?  And by the time last night arrived I was all aflutter.  I arrived early and Rob (co-worker and local awesome bbq aficionado) told me to go to the green room where Mr. Elwes was waiting, looking snappy in a black leather jacket, blue jeans and red Chucks.

Let it be said, the people, that he is indeed a tall drink.

Now  here's my favorite part of the story.  After graciously greeting me, he said absolutely the last thing in the world I would have expected.

Are you curious?

He told me that he respected what my father has done for American football.  And, in fact, we talked a bit about him and his career.  I won't lie.  I was kind of blown away that he somehow made that particular connection.  Even though I do write about him here sometimes, I don't often tell people about my dad because I don't want to come across as--you know--someone who tells people about her dad.

In the brief time we spent together, I found Cary Elwes to be intelligent, kind, well-mannered, interested in people other than himself and down-to-earth.   A true knight.

Thanks, Anne Holman, for the opportunity.

11 comments:

ilima said...

I love this, Ann. How cool! It sounds like you had a great time.

Ann said...

Yikes! I accidentally called him the DEAD Pirate Roberts! Mistake corrected!

Lisa B. said...

That is MAGNIFICENT and I think I would have fainted dead away at this occurrence. Good grief! Plus, I have always thought he was v. v. sexy. It must *also* be said that you looked fabulous--although I wasn't there, I did see the pictures, and you in your red shoes. Well played, both of you.

Randi said...

Very cool!

The Old CWT said...

I bet that he's blogging about how he got to meet the charming Ann Edwards Cannon!

Unknown said...

You're a natural you know!

Kim Woodruff said...

Awesome! You are so cool!

Blue said...

I'd planned to attend the earlier event that was canceled, but never heard about last night's gig. Bummer! Woulda been a fun way to spend my birthday....seeing you woulda been icing. So glad you got to have that experience though! How awesome?!

Emily said...

This is incredible! Of course you were perfect to moderate the event and I'm sure you were adorable! I wish I could've been there!!

Jeanna said...

All sorts of jealous!

Margy said...

Too much awesome for me to take in properly.