Thursday, November 11, 2010

Reading Like a Writer

That's the title for a presentation I've been asked to give at the SCBWI conference this weekend here in Salt Lake. I think it's a GREAT topic, but as I've tried to actually nail down a talk, I've struggled. I do a lot of things intuitively as a writer, I guess, and sometimes it's hard for me to explain how something happens. Still, I enjoy the challenge of looking at a process. Hopefully I can come up with something more than, "Yeah, I'm a writer! And I read!"

On the food front, cute Candace introduced me to My Dough Girl on 3rd West and 7th South in Salt Lake, and the people YOU MUST GO. I love that place with its yummy cookies and retro feel. Also! You can buy Mexican Cokes there! I had the lemon cookie for the first time yesterday and if you love lemon you oughta try it. They grind up Lemonheads and put them in the frosting. As a result, the cookie was just a leetle too tart-ish for me. I'll probably go back to ordering my fave--the chocolate cherry deal they've got going on. Who doesn't love a chocolate cherry deal going on?

You're welcome for the cookie updates.

4 comments:

Lisa B. said...

Wow, ground up Lemonheads? That's commitment to the lemon.

That chocolate cherry cookie is ridiculous, though. I've only ever had the one you brought me. I looked at it and thought, what? that cookie is pink. And then I ate it and thought, pink cookie, mmmmmmm. It's cakey, and I love a cakey cookie, in this vein. Sugar cookies, however, should not be cakey in my opinion. They should lie flat and be crisp as God intended.

Randi said...

Wow, look at you! You're busy, lady!

Philsy C said...

Hey Mom,

Just wondering if you've looked at the comments on your last article for the DesNews... REALLY nice comments... you have a lot of people who really love you!

Philsy

Louise Plummer said...

One book: READING LIKE A WRITER by Francine Prose.