Friday, January 24, 2020

Stranger

Meanwhile Odysseus, who had been sleeping
in his own native land of Ithaca
woke up, but did not recognize the place . . . "
             --from Emily Wilson's translation of Homer's Odyssey

See your friend there?
She looks much the same as
she has always looked to you--
small and fine-boned as the birds that
swirl in the tree between your houses.

For years you two have shared that tree
and more--stories of your
children and your husbands
and all the things, dark and light,
that have filtered through your hearts.

But she is changed now, touched by an illness
that is touching her mind
so that being with her as the day unfolds
is like waking up a stranger in
the place that used to be your home.

3 comments:

Sarah said...

This makes me so sad. I love you both. XO

Greg and Jayne said...

This is lovely, even though sad. I picked up your blog and decided to read about your days and years recently. I think of you often and hope that the devils that torment have gone for long break. I hope that you are again amusing, touching, and causing that world of yours and mine to be moved to sadness, delight and thought.

Greg and Jayne said...

Greg did not help me with this! I think that started a blog when we were in Slovenia and I included his name.