Tuesday, January 8, 2019

On Re-reading Books

Which is something (with the exception of LOTR) that I don't often do.  Because my experience is that books I once loved often disappoint later on.  And, frankly, I hesitate to re-read LOTR these days because I'm afraid it could do the same.

BUT! I re-read VENETIA by Georgette Heyer this weekend in response to feeling a very strong need to escape entirely into another world.

Oh, Georgette Heyer.  I discovered her when I was going through my high school/college rabid Jane Austen/anglophile phase, as all bookish girls of my generation were wont to do, and I enjoyed her novels hugely in spite of their overabundance of Regency slang.  The women were strong and independent and anyway who can resist a comedy of manners?

Then . . . I don't know.  I got over my anglophile-ness, largely due to DOWNTON ABBEY, which irritated me beyond reason.  And, also, somewhere along the way I turned into a communist.  KIDDING!  But the older I've gotten, the less patient I've become with the whole freaking notion of class.  Living in New York, btw, was a big catalyst for that development.

Anyway. I re-read VENETIA in spite of all the above and discovered I enjoyed it even more this time around. The characters are sharply drawn and the story, while largely comic, had (for me, at least) real emotional power.

Well, who doesn't love a pleasant surprise like that?

1 comment:

radagast said...

Yeah, I can't reread LOTR anymore because Peter Jackson's vision of Middle-Earth has entirely supplanted the one I created as a teen. I loved his movies but not as much as I loved my first solo walks through the Shire.