Wednesday, November 11, 2015

Tidbits from a recent romance readers luncheon

Last Saturday I was invited to a romance readers luncheon by romance writer Annie Oortman where I picked up a few good tips for writing (and living!) from keynote speakers, Raeanne Thayne and Robyn Carr (who was hysterical btw).

Tips include the following--

1.  Your characters need problems.  Stories without problems are photo albums, not novels.

2.  Write what you love.

3.  A novel becomes popular one book, one reader at a time.

4.  Don't write about a heroine that's waiting for someone else to save her.  And (while we're at it) a woman ought to be the heroine of her own life, not a victim.

Incidentally, Carr is the author of the bestselling Virgin River series, which (she noted) some people call the Vagina River series.  (She shoots!  She scores!)

2 comments:

James said...

Tidbits seems like an awful good word for romance novels. Tidbits and heaving bosoms, I am not sure I have ever read a romance novel, but I did read a Danielle Steele novel once. It was ostensibly about the Viet Nam War. I don't remember much about it.

Paige said...

I love that photo album comment. Great perspective.