Monday, September 15, 2014

The problem with ashes

So Ken Cannon and I have taken to having our pets cremated when they die.  (Aren't you glad I added the "when they die" part?)  And then they return to us in lovely little cedar boxes with their names engraved on the top because this is an option now and when you're saying goodbye to a beloved dog or cat, having their ashes in lovely little cedar boxes with their names engraved on the top seems like a good idea at the time.

And then a few years later you look at your book shelf where you keep the ashes and go, "I have the ashes of dead dogs in my house."  And then you go, "Is this normal?"  And then you go, "What am I going to do with these lovely little cedar boxes with my pets' names engraved on the top."  And then you go, "What should I say if people ask me about this stack of boxes?" And then you decide you'll just have to lie.

Because people will think you're crazy if you tell the truth.

But not as crazy as a woman I know who had her pet wiener dog stuffed after he died.

Which makes me suddenly feel much better about myself.

Which is a good thing on a Monday.



2 comments:

Donna Tagliaferri said...

I am sorry that your pets had to die...but since they did, lovely boxes with their names engraved is so much better than what we have done.
You are a good pet owner...
But what will happen when we die? I would like to be put in a hefty bag and set out on Thursday...

Louise Plummer said...

I didn't know this about you. I-I-I had no idea.