Thursday, September 2, 2010

antidotes

Whenever someone had a meltdown--a family member, a neighbor, a national figure--my mother would always say, "Well there they go, fonching and fuming."

We had no idea what the exact definition of "fonching" was. Something people did in Wyoming when they were angry, perhaps? Were bad smells involved? Was this a word created as a substitute for another word? And yet we knew in general what the term meant. People who were "fonching and fuming" were pretty darn angry. And noisy. REALLY really fonchingly noisy.

Well, as you all know, I've been fonching and fuming a lot lately, so I decided to give things a rest--to calm down and go to my happy place. Today my happy place has involved eating cupcakes and looking at pictures of Peyton Manning in ESPN magazine.

I recommend this course of action highly.

6 comments:

candace said...

oh wow! I'm so glad my little blog could be a happy place for you. We're always happy to have you visit. You know, I may just start using "fonching and fuming"...then again, maybe I won't :)

Louise Plummer said...

I can't find "fonching" or "fonchingly" in the urban dictionary, but fonch, the noun was a kicker. You and your mother should google it.

Donna Tagliaferri said...

Ann....perhaps it is the only child in me....but I tell people you have to feel like you do until you don't feel like that any more. And that is what you did. Take it off your worry list....venting is good, especially among friends. And besides it was awful...your good friends were effected. You get to be upset...

DylanE said...

Mom, I love you more than anything, but you're the only person alive who finds looking at Peyton Manning a pleasant experience. He's like a rich man's version of me as a younger man: thin, gangly, balding and a huge nose.

Anonymous said...

I've always thought fonching at the bit is what animals, males esp. Dogs or horse hence bit, do when scenting a female in heat

Just Raven said...

Faunching at the bit....faunching means to have nervous agitation.