Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Willing suspensions

Coleridge famously observed that the writer enters a compact with the reader, who agrees to suspend disbelief if a fictional world feels somehow "real"--even if that world is Narnia or Hogwarts. Truly, it's amazing that this compact succeeds as often as it does.

Occasionally, however, I have the experience of reading something and going, "Okay. Not buying this anymore." This happened yesterday when I was reading a new paranormal romance called NIGHTSHADE. I was fine with the fact that the main character (a girl) is a werewolf. Also fine with the fact that she's an alpha werewolf. Also fine with the fact that she goes to a high school with other werewolves, including a sexy male alpha in another pack who will one day be her mate. Also fine with the fact that several members of her own pack are gay werewolves.

But when I got to the line about how those gay werewolves are in a support group for gay werewolves, I went REALLY? WEREWOLVES HAVE SUPPORT GROUPS? Like, are there support groups for werewolves who gamble? Or drink? Or buy too many shoes? Or hoard those shoes?

I'm pretty sure the writer was having a little fun there, but still. Interesting how it was THAT detail that finally made me put the book down.

6 comments:

Louise Plummer said...

You suspended your disbelief a lot longer than I would have. Teenage werewolves. Puleeze.

Teen angels.

Teen night hawks

Teen snakes--heavy breathing--as they coil themselves around each other under a rock.

Amy said...

I'm always laughing at myself when I finally go "really?" and the jig is up. (Also, I think we don't say "jig" often enough....)

I just got there with the 3rd Uglies book (which I'll still finish....) Unfortunate - I really enjoyed the first two.

Tiffany said...

I hope you don't suffer a backlash from gay werewolves who read your blog. I'd hate to see that.

Donna Tagliaferri said...

I am a gay werewolf and I am offended.

Lisa B. said...

I, however, would have read that nonsense to the bitter end. I would have felt like I had to so that I could complain about it. Your post proves to me, however, that I do not have to read a silly book (I'm talking about you, The Affinity Bridge) to the bitter end to complain, and wittily, to boot. Your blog is so educational like that.

Erin said...

Please never write a book in this genre! Please!