Monday, November 29, 2010

A tale wherein I embarrass myself

So last night Q. went to bed last night feeling pretty certain that today would be a Snow Day. I said don't bet on it. He said but they closed everything down last week during the Blizzard of the Century That Wasn't (possible headlines for the event: THE BLIZZ THAT FIZZED or BLIZZARD SMCHMIZZARD). I said there wouldn't be a Snow Day. And now that it's morning and he's been listening furtively with fading hope to the news, he realizes it isn't a Snow Day as well.

So he's annoyed.

So I'm all DUDE! IT'S UTAH! IT SNOWS HERE. I'm also all I NEVER HEARD OF A SNOW DAY WHEN I WAS A KID. And then I really got going. WHEN I WAS A KID WE WERE GETTING UP AT 4:00 IN THE MORNING AND MILKING COWS BEFORE WE WENT TO SCHOOL IN THE MIDDLE OF WINTER.

And here's the thing. I was completely serious. I was really believing that as a young girl growing up in Provo, Utah, I was leaping out of bed in the winter at the crack of dawn to help my family out on the cow front. But of course we didn't have actual cows. Just a dog. And I never got out of a bed at 4:00. Unless it was 4:00 in the afternoon.

I'm getting the crazy old person disease.

Also, I think I might turn this into a column. So if you read my column, forget I wrote this.

Happy Snow Day.

6 comments:

Louise Plummer said...

Quentin needs to live in Boston. If there was even a rumor of snow: snow day. Like every other day. Boston is one of the oldest and coldest cities in the US and they still haven't figured out what to do with snow. Geez.

Erin said...

It would make a great column. There is even a Facebook group called "I survived the November 23, 2010 blizzard." It is actually funny because some people don't realize it is a joke and post on the page that it really wasn't that bad!

Mystery Girl said...

The snow we had yesterday was waaaay more than the blizzard smizzard. Of course on Tuesday hubby was here yesterday he was sunning himself in Florida and I was stuck clearing snow with the equivalent of a sewing machine. All Day:-(

Randi said...

Ahh, snow. Can't wait to play in it with you and Chloe :)

LucindaF said...

Ha, I do that all the time to my kids. They don't ever believe me. But there are times when Drama is necessary. I use it to diffuse a stressfull situation wherein they are asked to do something, which tragically does not coincide with their desire to do nothing. They're more willing when they know their mom is a nutjob.

No snow for me. Bleh.

Emma said...

I remember wishing and hoping that the school bus wouldn't make it up the hill and we'd all get to go home and have hot chocolate and cookies. We even made up our own rule: if the bus didn't show up within 10 minutes of it's due time, we could leave, miss school and the bus driver would be to blame.

The bus always showed up during the final countdown!

Boo.

But then one year, it crashed going down the steepest hill. We all used our mad 9and very much practiced) emergency exit skills, hopped off the bus and then had to slip and slide our way back up the hill to get home... And there was no hot chocolate or cookies.

Boo.