Monday, April 16, 2018

Tip #8: A Useful Reminder

When I get depressed I start searching for ways to feel better (obv!), but sometimes that becomes its own kind of pressure.  Oddly, sometimes by just acknowledging the pain you're feeling, you lessen (a little) its grip.  I'm reminded of this when I do the five minute self-compassion break on this website recommended by a good friend of mine who's also a wise and very experienced therapist.

http://self-compassion.org/category/exercises/

The takeaway?  Suffering is, in fact, a part of life.  Acknowledge it and then treat yourself in that moment of acknowledgement with the kindness you would extend to a dear one.  I find that when I offer myself kindness, I can be kinder to the people around me.

OKAY.  I think tomorrow will be the final tip thing because now I'm just ready to write random crap about life.


2 comments:

Jim said...

The tips have been greatly appreciated. I am looking forward to crap you write about too. Reading your blog brightens any day.

CSIowa said...

Kristin Neff's work is good stuff. Glad you found it!

I love that you are still posting here, btw, about whatever kind of crap seems appropriate at the time.