Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Here's something I'll probably never do again

. . . besides have another baby.  Although I DID have a dream not long ago wherein I discovered I was pregnant.  And I was all, BUT I'M OLD.  And then I was all, oh well!  Babies are awesome!  And then I was all, why am I talking like a teenager?  I'm 57 and pregnant, for hellsake.

Still, it turned out to be an oddly happy dream.

That, however, is not where I meant for this to go.  I meant to say I'll probably never train for another marathon, which is something I'm doing right now.  I got into St. George, which I did once before.  So I wrote a celebratory column about the fact for the desnews and that very week, I hurt myself and couldn't run in the damn thing.  Possibly I'll hurt myself again now that I've gone public.  We'll see.

The point is that running a marathon is a thing that's been on my Bucket List forever, and I'm grateful I (finally) (at my advanced age) have the opportunity to (possibly) cross it off the old B.L.  But I'm seriously wondering now about people who have done this over and over.  Training takes a lot of time!

And also it hurts.  After I do a long run, I spend the rest of the day feeling like I'm walking around on bloody little stumps, fantasizing about getting a pedicure, only I can't.  Because you know.

I have stumps.  Instead of feet.


5 comments:

Lisa B. said...

Well, I respect the marathoners, with the maniacal gleam in their eyes and their bloody stumps for feet. But I will never, ever join them. I wish I could do your other feat, walking across England. Walking is what my tired, decrepit feet are good for. Also lounging. Cheers to you. I believe you are going to do it!

radagast said...

Yep. I'm with LB. I'm more likely to have a baby than run a marathon. (By the way, "feat" and "feet," LB? Genius.) But you, Ann, are, like, totally awesome. You're all like, "life has cool stuff to do in it that I put on my Bucket List and now here I am rocking that list." R-E-S-P-E-C-T, gurlfren.

Louise Plummer said...

Listen, babe, if you can run a marathon, you can have a baby in your fifties. Old egg, old sperm, and some young chick to carry the little guy, because it would certainly be a guy child.

Tom's aunt had a baby while her only son was on his mission.

Put it on the bucket list.

When I was in my fifties, I had multiple "having a baby" dreams. I loved them.

Lily Prusso said...

I ran two marathons when my first two kids were babies. Then I had two more kids. I thought, I'll run another one when they're older. Now they're a little older, but my life is busier.

That's what I tell myself. The truth is: I don't want to run another marathon. It's a time suck and it's stressful. I'm glad I did it...but, I'll never do another.

I think you'll be happy to cross this off your BL. But I'm with Lisa, next time you walk across England...count me in. That sounds AMAZING.

Good luck with your training!

Emily said...

That last comment was me, not my twelve-year-old daughter who has never run a marathon, nor had any children.