Sunday, September 29, 2019

Now Here's a Post I Thought I'd Never Write

When I was in the thick of raising five boys, I used to CRAVE time alone. Fantasized about it, even. Especially when I was in the bathroom and those kids would slide their little fingers under the door and say, "MOM! WHAT ARE YOU DOING IN THERE?"

Fast forward a million years. Here I am now, an empty-nester who spends at least part of every day alone. There are lots of things I enjoy about this stage of life, for sure. But the big surprise to me has been how much I sometimes miss my boys, their noise and all the chaos. Believe me. I did not see THAT coming.

Which is why, more than ever, I'm grateful for the communities of which I'm a part. Professional. Personal. Whatever. I'm glad I have my people.

2 comments:

Bonnie Heather White said...

A friend died tonight and longing for something to fill that ache, I rediscovered your blog. These poems were balm for what hurt tonight. I've missed your anecdotes about your life and walking and dogs and gardening in your old column.

Ann said...

Bonnie, I'm so sorry about the loss of your friend. And thank you for your kind words. Truly.