Tuesday, April 9, 2019

Mirror

When I looked in the mirror
this morning I was surprised
to see I still had long hair.
I didn't recognize myself. 
Last night I dreamed hard
that I had shaved my head like a marine.

The dream felt real enough to eat.
I was full of regret but 
also resolve to live this
new way with less of me
because what else can you do?

So! I was happy to find myself
unchanged in the weak light
of morning--at least for now.
The mirror will surprise me again
as it always does and then I will 
start at the things it nakedly reveals.

2 comments:

Dave and Terrie Larsen said...

I LOVE your poetry. I am not usually a poetry person because it seems weird and pretentious and I just don't get it. I actually understand what you are talking about! Thanks!

Lisa B. said...

"I was full of regret but
also resolve to live this
new way with less of me"

heart heart heart