Monday, May 22, 2017

Dog the First

Fair Warning:  I can't imagine the next series of posts are going to be very interesting to anyone, because I am going to do some remembering about Dogs I Have Owned in chronological order.  This is just an exercise to get me up and writing again, so feel free to check out.

OK.  First Dog.  She was a boxer named Priney, which my parents had owned for a couple of years before I was born.  But when we met, it was love at first sight for both of us.  There isn't a picture of me from my young childhood without that dog standing at my side or lying on my feet.

TRQ used to put us out in the yard together first thing in the morning because you were allowed to do that in the 1950's.  We spent our days together, which did lead to some species confusion for both of us.  She thought she was a human.  I thought I was a dog, which is why I put her bones in my mouth and ran up and down the lawn one day until TRQ made me stop.  She was a good mother that way.

Here's what I remember about her.  The dog.  Not TRQ.

--Soulful eyes
--Slick fawn coat that was warm to the touch because of sun on her skin
--Her eating all the Easter eggs at my Birthday party (sorry, kids!) before we had a chance to do our Easter egg hunt

I always say when I cross over, I hope she's one of the first to greet m on the other side.

1 comment:

Donna Tagliaferri said...

spotty was my first dog....he was so good to me...sniff