Friday, May 25, 2018

Memorial Day

I don't know exactly when Memorial Day became a holiday I own for myself, but it did.  I'm sure the fact that I watched my parents and grandparents decorate family graves with coffee cans (wrapped in tin foil) (also, where did all those coffee cans come from) full of snowball blossoms, peonies, and irises trained me up in the way I should go.

Anyway.  I spent time in Provo today, visiting East Lawn Memorial Cemetery where some of the people I loved best in this life are buried.  Dad.  Skinny and Louise.  Kenneth.  Becky.  While I was there I remembered something my granddaughter said when she was about four after her parents took her to the cemetery on Memorial Day.

"Hey!  Remember that garden we went to with the dead people?"

Yup.  Her parents are training her up in the way she should go, too.






2 comments:

Dave and Terrie Larsen said...

I have great memories of past Memorial Day holidays spent at the cemetery too. It was always kind of like a family reunion. I live too far away now to visit my parents and sister, uncles and aunts, but thanks for reminding me what a great experience it was.

Lisa B. said...

the mystery of the origin-less (OR WERE THEY) coffee cans, the only appropriate vessels for MD irises