Wednesday, May 2, 2018

And We Called Him Mary Alice

I walked past the Lion House yesterday and remembered the birthday party I threw there for myself three years ago.  You know.  The one for little girls where they teach you how to play "Button, Button" and pull taffy while wearing a pioneer bonnet.  I never got that party when I was a kid, so I called and asked if I could have it as an adult.

LION HOUSE HOSTESS:  The one where you pull taffy while wearing a pioneer bonnet?

ME:  Yes.  That's the one.

So although the people at the Lion House thought I was super weird, etc. they said okay and I invited my daughters-in-law and the friends I walk with in the morning and TRQ, who asked if she could bring her friend Mary Alice to the party.  Of course, I said!  The more Mary Alice the merrier!

But Mary Alice decided not to go at the last minute, so TRQ brought up my dad instead.

"This is a girl party," I told him.

So he put on a bonnet and we called him Mary Alice all night long. Also, he pulled taffy.

What a guy!


4 comments:

radagast said...

Ach! I love this story.

Unknown said...

I enjoy your blog. Thank you for writing again. I missed you when you took an understandable leave of absence.
I know TRQ is your mother, however, I don't know what the initials stand for? Do you care to enlighten me? Thanks for the smiles. I learn much from you.

Ann said...

Cindy, TRQ stands for "The Rodeo Queen." Which she was as a teenager a few years back in Big Piney, Wyoming.

Jim said...

Mary Alice is a good friend...and that Mary Alice was a good Dad.