Friday, May 11, 2018

Adult Parents + Adult Children + Technology = Tense Moments

I've been spending some time with Son #3 who went into cardiac arrest when he looked at my iPhone.

"Mom," he said, "you have 6470 unread emails."

"I do?"

"Yes.  See?"

"Oh."

"Doesn't that drive you crazy?"

"Not that I've noticed."

Anyway.  Later that day, this son spirited my phone away and started messing around with it.

"What are you doing?"  I asked.

"Simplifying your life."

I felt a distinct sinking feeling in my gut.  Whenever my kids try to "simplify" my life on the technological front, things always go south.  My Tech Life may be a hot mess, but at least I know how to navigate it.

Anyway.  He eventually handed back my phone and SURE ENOUGH it was useless unto me.  So I made him change everything back.  Which means I have 6470 unread emails.

Oh.  Excuse me.  6471 unread emails.

2 comments:

CSIowa said...

I'm pretty sure I'm closer to your children's ages than to yours, but I am right there with you. There was a stretch where Siri would call me "My name is Candace but spell it with an I." Siri never did learn how to spell my name, but somehow that phrase ended up as my pseudonym on some outgoing email messages. I had to have my kids help me change it back.

radagast said...

There's something right about having 6741 unread emails and not noticing one whit of difference in your life.