Monday, May 14, 2018

And then I hear . . .

I woke up to the news that my editor Anna Cekola at the Salt Lake Tribune has been laid off, along with over thirty other staffers.  I've felt heartsick for everyone involved, as well as worried, frankly, about the future of responsible, carefully curated journalism.  Where is this all going?

(For the record, I do want to add that the remaining staff at the paper are true professionals who will give it their all to keep the Trib viable.)

So.  Anyway.  I've been sitting on my back porch, thinking about how completely crappy the world is and then just now I hear my neighbor Kathy in the next yard over playing with her three year-old grandson.  He laughs.  She laughs.  She laughs some more.  Delighted.

Thank you, Kathy.

4 comments:

Dr Write said...

I, too, am worried! We need to support journalism!!
I hope your column is not in danger....

Ann said...

I haven't heard anything about my column. I'm assuming it's safe right now. Thanks for your concern, Dr. Write.

Ted Izatt said...

The world is a very rough and difficult place. I agree with your sentiment. But finding happiness and the children is a blessing. I hope the Tribune survives. It is really important to keep top quality journalism. Thanks for all you do.

Dave and Terrie Larsen said...

Love your column! You and Kirby are the reasons I subscribe. And I love your blog - please keep writing!